Memory Verse of the Day (if I can remember it!)

James 4:7 "So humble yourselves before God. Resist the Devil, and he will flee from you. Draw near to God, and God will draw near to you."

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Remove the Thorn

I have a sermon on Paul's thorn here already. However, this weekend my pastor spoke on following Jesus and mentioned Paul and his thorn. Again, it struck me that Paul asked three times for the thorn to be removed and then accepted it.

Three times.

How many times have you asked for your thorn to be removed? Three times? Three hundred times? I know I'm hitting probably three thousand times since my thorn came around 4 years ago.

So can I accept my thorn? God's grace is made perfect in my weakness. And my thorn keeps me week. Can I accept that his grace is being made perfect in me?

My pastor also made a statement that we are never drawn closer to God than in our times of need. How true that is! If God removed all of my thorns, would I fall away from him? If I think back to the times my life didn't have these thorns, was I closer to God then or now?

I would have to say I'm closer now.

This isn't to say that God wants us to live a life of suffering. I don't believe that for a second. But it does mean that he allows us to go through these times in order to grow closer to him. We are ultimately here on this earth for his glory. And by going through sufferings and coming out the other side refined, God is glorified.

So, have I asked for a thorn to be removed three times or more? Yes. Has God yet removed it? No, not yet. Does that mean he never will? Nope. Does that mean I need to accept my situation and lean fully on him? 100% yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment